MBA Canada

Canada Visa information

Search jobs

You should make sure before coming to Canada that your legal situation is correct. Depending on your nationality, you might need a visa, residence permit and/or work permit. Here you will find legal requirements for coming to Canada.

Who requires a visa?

Nationals of certain countries can stay in Canada for up to six months without a visa but will need to be granted a work permit or visa to take up employment.

Citizens of all the nations except the following countries require a visa:

  1. Citizens of EU countries, Australia, Canada, Japan and US.
  2. Citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Dominica, Grenada, Hong Kong (SAR), Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Kiribati, Korea (Rep. of), Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Swaziland, Switzerland, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Vatican City and Zimbabwe.
  3. Those traveling Canada who, during that stay, also visit the USA or St Pierre & Miquelon (a French Territory) and return immediately to Canada as visitors within the period authorized on their initial entry (or any extension thereto).

What documents will be required?

  1. Valid passport.
  2. Proof of immigration status in country of residence.
  3. Application form.
  4. 2 passport-size photos.
  5. Demonstration of sufficient funds for the duration of your stay (this may require supplying a letter from one's employer, mortgage statements or bank statements or letter of invitation from a Canadian resident).
  6. Private medical insurance.
  7. Evidence of employment (when is required).
  8. Details of travel plans.
If you send a postal application, payment must be in the form of a bank draft in Canadian Dollars receivable to the Receiver General of Canada. Temporary residence: A work permit is required for temporary residence in Canada.
People who want to travel to Canada for the reasons of study or temporary employment should contact the nearest Canadian High Commission, Embassy or Consulate, as authorization is normally demanded prior to arrival.
The persons who want to be employed at a temporary employment will need one Employment Authorization, for which a fee is charged.

Who requires a student visa?

If you aren't from Canada, a stable resident of Canada or a dependent of a diplomat accredited to Canada, you must get a student authorization.

A student authorization is not necessary if the course is:
  • An English or French language program that lasts a maximum of six months;
  • Not academic, professional or vocational; for example;
  • Self-improvement, general interest courses such as arts and crafts;
  • Courses incorporated in tour packages as a secondary activity for tourists; and
  • Day care or nursery school programs which are not a compulsory part of the elementary school system.
People who wish to study in Canada have to request a student authorization and get the written confirmation of a visa officer. You do not require a study permit if you are thinking to study in a short-term program in Canada of six months or less.

You should apply early for your course of study at least six months for primary and secondary schools. University and college students should apply a year before they have to start their studies.

If you will study a program of English or French during 90 days, you may not need a visa, it will depend on your nationality. For longer programs of study, or if you will not study English or French, maybe you will need a visa and/or student authorization.

People who prefer for study purposes must obtain a Student Authorization; a charge is made for this service.

What documents will be required for the student visa?

  1. An official letter of approval from an accredited educational institution.
  2. A done application form:
    In order that you complete your application you will have to know the cost of your education besides of tuition fees and books, medical insurance, return transportation expenses and living costs for yourself and any dependants while in Canada. Living costs vary in each province.
  3. The application fee of $125 CAD / $80 USD
  4. 2 passport style pictures.
  5. Your passport (candidates from countries whose citizens need visitor visas for Canada must give their valid passport. Candidates from countries not on this list require only give a photocopy. Candidates who are United States Citizens or Green Card holders do not need a passport -- please submit proof of citizenship or a copy of your green card).
  6. An approval letter from the institution.
  7. Proof of funds necessary for your need during the first year of your studies. In general, $10,000 CAD is demanded in addition to tuition fees for one year.
  8. A transcript from your last program of study.

Time required to issue visa:

Application can delay 5 weeks approximately in the process (considering the postal-delivery time)

Canadian universities advise that one should apply for admission at least one year in advance of planned arrival.

What is the cost of a visa?

Can$75 (more or less 33) for a single entry;
Can$150 (more or less 67) for multiple entries.

It is necessary for all citizens who require a Visitor visa.
Although Transit visas are not demanded by British citizens, they may be demanded by foreign nationals with British passports; check with the Embassy or High Commission for details.

If a student visa and/or authorization is required, the cost is can$125

How long is the visa valid for?

Up to 5-6 months depending on eventualities of individual applicant. The decision in relation to time of stay in Canada can only be resolved by the examining officer at the port of entry. If no actual departure date is visible within the visitor's passport, then the visitor will be required to depart within 3 months from the date of entry. Visitors must control their exit from Canada on or before the date authorized by the examining officer on arrival. If a prolongation of stay is required, an application must be prepared in writing to the nearest Canada Immigration Centre well before the expiry of the visitor visa. Student visas and authorization are valid for the duration of the program of study.

Other information:

After checking your application, a visa officer will determine if an interview is required. If so, the visa officer will communicate you of the time and place. In some cases you will need a medical examination. A visa constable will determine on this and he will send instructions, if a medical is necessary. It may add over three months to the processing of your application. if you make a mistake on the form, your application may be delayed or returned to you unprocessed.

Restricted entry and transit:
The Government of Canada denies admission to holders of passports, identity or travel documents issued by Bophuthatswana, Ciskei, Transkei, Venda or the Palestine government.

  1. Visitors to Canada must answer an examining officer at the Port of Entry that they are legitimate visitors and have sufficient reserves to maintain themselves during their visit in Canada and to return to their country of origin, as well as evidence of confirmed onward reservations out of Canada. Persons under 18 years who do not have the company of an adult should have with them a letter from a parent or guardian giving them permission to travel to Canada.
  2. Passport and visa regulations are subject to change at any time; it is prudent to check with the nearest Canadian Consulate, Embassy or High Commission prior to travel.
Embassy contact information:
Canadian Embassies

Back to:
MBA Canada
MBA Abroad